Chapter 16: The teenage shows effect
We were perhaps too young to understand love in its entirety, yet old enough to recognize that something unusual happened when boys and girls began taking a special interest in each other. Our minds were curious, our emotions restless, and our understanding incomplete. We sensed far more than we could comprehend. Those who ventured into these unfamiliar emotional territories often discovered that crossing invisible boundaries was far easier than dealing with the consequences later.
In those days, school life was very different from what it is today. Boys generally moved around in groups of boys, while girls preferred the company of other girls. Except during laboratory periods, project assignments, cultural activities or occasional academic discussions, members of the opposite sex were rarely seen alone together. During recess, we usually sat in mixed groups, chatting, joking and discussing everything under the sun—from cricket matches and examinations to films and teachers.
There were, however, a few exceptions.
Among them, Rohit and Garima were undoubtedly the most talked-about pair in the entire school.
Garima was often described as broad-minded because she was comfortable interacting with boys, especially Rohit. She was friendly with everyone, yet maintained a respectful distance from most boys. With Rohit, however, things were entirely different.
Rohit himself was an interesting personality. He was not exceptionally brilliant in academics, nor was he an outstanding sportsman. Yet he possessed something that many others lacked—an irresistible charm. He was cheerful, approachable and remarkably helpful. Whether it was carrying a project file, helping someone with homework, escorting a friend to class or lending notes, Rohit was always available.
He never hesitated to help girls, even if they belonged to another class. Many willingly accepted his assistance and some occasionally exploited his generous nature. Nevertheless, Rohit never appeared to mind.
He had joined our school in Class X after moving from Solan, a small town in Himachal Pradesh. Ever since his arrival, he had managed to establish friendships across classes.
His ambition was unusual.
Unlike most of us, who dreamed of becoming doctors, engineers or army officers, Rohit wanted to enter theatre and eventually become a film star. He often discussed cinema, acting and dramatics with remarkable passion. Listening to him, one could easily believe that he was destined for the silver screen.
Another remarkable quality of his was his ability to convince people.
Even when he was unsure of an answer in class, he would respond so confidently that teachers often found themselves accepting his explanation. Watching him, one sometimes wondered whether confidence alone could substitute knowledge.
Garima, meanwhile, was attractive, graceful and possessed a striking personality. She was of medium height, fair-complexioned and carried herself with a natural elegance. Many girls admired her while some quietly envied her popularity.
She and Rohit could frequently be seen together near the swimming pool, outside Chinar Theatre or around the library—places considered ideal meeting spots by students in those days.
Rumours regarding their relationship circulated constantly.
Garima was sincere and hardworking in studies. Yet she devoted considerable time to Rohit. During examinations she often risked disciplinary action by helping him whenever he struggled. Their exchange of handwritten notes during class had become so frequent that it was practically an accepted routine.
Half the class unwillingly participated as messengers.
John and I often discussed them.
"What does Rohit find so special in Garima?" I once asked. "There are many girls who are more intelligent and perhaps even prettier."
John smiled knowingly.
"How many times must I explain?" he said. "When someone falls in love, nobody else matters. To that person, the one they love becomes the most special person in the world."
His explanation invariably ended the discussion.
A few days later, an incident occurred that remained etched permanently in my memory.
We had just finished our games period and were returning to class.
John suddenly decided to visit the washroom.
"You come along," he suggested.
"My bladder is empty," I replied.
"Then go for company," he laughed.
I dismissed his suggestion and walked alone towards the classroom.
As I approached, I noticed that the room was still empty. Most students had not yet returned from the playground.
Expecting an empty classroom, I entered casually.
The moment I stepped inside, I stopped abruptly.
For a few seconds I simply stood there, unable to move.
In one corner of the classroom, partially hidden from the doorway, stood Rohit and Garima. Completely unaware of my presence, they were sharing a kiss.
I immediately froze.
Until that day, romance had existed for me only in films, novels and whispered conversations among classmates. Seeing two of my own classmates expressing their affection so openly came as a profound surprise.
I quietly stepped back without making a sound.
Outside the classroom, my heart pounded rapidly.
Should I enter?
Should I cough to announce my presence?
Should I pretend that I had seen nothing?
I had absolutely no idea.
For several moments, I remained standing outside, struggling to understand my own feelings. I felt embarrassed, curious, shocked and strangely excited—all at the same time.
Curiosity eventually won.
I cautiously looked inside once more.
They were still talking softly to each other, completely absorbed in their own world.
I withdrew immediately.
"No," I told myself. "They deserve their privacy."
Just then, John appeared in the corridor.
One glance at my expression and he immediately sensed that something unusual had happened.
I motioned him to remain silent and asked him to look inside.
He did so and returned smiling.
"First time?" he whispered.
I nodded.
"Oh, I've seen them together before," he replied casually.
Before I could ask further questions, John deliberately raised his voice.
"Have you brought the English notebook?" he shouted.
The startled pair immediately stepped apart.
When we entered, Rohit looked visibly uncomfortable.
"What were you doing?" John asked innocently.
"We were discussing Biology notes," Rohit replied.
John looked around.
"Without notebooks?"
"The notes are on the desk," Rohit answered quickly.
John merely smiled.
Fortunately, the arrival of other students ended the awkward moment.
Yet my thoughts remained disturbed throughout the day.
During Hindi class, I was so distracted that I failed to answer a simple question correctly, inviting laughter from the entire class and a sharp comment from the teacher.
Even while walking home, my mind repeatedly returned to the incident.
That evening, while sharing tea and samosas with John at Chinar Restaurant, I listened eagerly as he began narrating yet another story about Rohit and Garima.
As the sun gradually disappeared behind the distant hills and we resumed our journey home, I realized something important.
Without my noticing, childhood had begun giving way to adolescence.
And with it had arrived curiosity, confusion, friendships, secrets and the mysterious emotion called love.
No comments:
Post a Comment